10 Wonderful Reasons to Meditate
Meditation has existed for thousands of years, but it’s never been more popular than it is right now. Meditation provides many health and personal benefits. Meditation is simple, free, and can be done anywhere. It’s well worth your effort.
There are numerous reasons to include meditation in your daily life:
1. Boost your health. Regular meditation decreases inflammation, improves immune function, decreases pain, and actually adds grey matter to your brain.
2. Enhance self-control and the ability to regulate emotions. Do you currently have poor impulse control? Do you get upset easily? Meditation can help. Whether you struggle to stick with your diet or control your temper, meditation is beneficial.
3. Slow aging. Cognitive function is better preserved in those that meditate every day.
· Though it hasn’t been proven conclusively, it appears likely that meditation can lengthen your lifespan.
4. Improve memory and attention. If you can’t remember where you left your car keys, regular meditation might be the answer. It can also increase your ability to concentrate. The ability to stay focused is considered a marker for success.
5. Learn to be more present. Let go of the past and the future. Meditation is all about keeping your mind in the present moment. You’ll feel a sense of relief and great peace.
· You can use this skill throughout the day to enjoy your life and accomplish more. You’ll daydream and worry less. Your productivity will soar.
6. Strengthen your heart and circulatory system. Meditation lowers blood pressure and improves many cellular markers of heart health. It has even been shown to lower cholesterol levels!
· Heart disease is one of the leading causes of death in the Western world. Meditation is part of the solution.
7. Lower stress and enhance your mood. Meditation is widely used in the treatment of depression and anxiety disorders. You can effectively deal with anxiety and worry with regular and consistent meditation practice.
8. Enjoy a more positive lifestyle. Many of our bad habits are ways of dealing with anxiety and other negative emotions. When these emotions occur less frequently, it’s easier to avoid bad habits.
9. Increase self-awareness. When you meditate, you’re much more aware of your body, thoughts, and feelings. By meditating regularly, you develop a constant awareness of yourself.
· Negative thoughts and emotions are easier to spot and correct. You’ll become an expert on yourself.
10. Make more friends. When you meditate regularly, you’ll become more accepting of others. This is considered a natural extension of the mood regulation benefits that meditation provides. You’ll find you’re less judgmental and more open to a wider range of people.
· This results in having a greater number of friends. When you accept others just the way they are, an entirely new pool of people is available to you. You might even find the partner of your dreams among this new group of folks.
Meditation doesn’t have to take up a significant portion of your day. Just a few minutes of meditation provides significant benefits. Start with just 5 minutes of meditation and increase the time as you see fit.